Thursday, August 14, 2008

Espresso Chocolate Chunk Cookies

espresso chocolate chunk

I think it's well established that I adore the chocolate chip cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking. Since tomorrow is Mason's birthday, I wanted to make some to send to work with him today. Though they are amazing, I thought it would be a little boring to send plain chocolate chips cookies yet again. So, what kind of cookies do you make for a barista to take to work? Espresso Chocolate Chunk!

Mas and I made the chunks for the cookies by melting a bag of chocolate chips with two tablespoons of Earth Balance, a teaspoon of agave and a tablespoon of Nescafe. {By the way, my resident coffee expert informs me that espresso powder is a total rip off. Just use double the amount of Nescafe for equally tasty, yet much more affordable results.} We spread the melted chocolate in a thin layer on an oiled sheet of parchment and stuck it in the freezer for about an hour. When it was frozen solid, I cut it into thin strips lengthwise, then cut the strips into chunks.

The chunks had a really nice coffee flavor, but it wasn't quite enough. I wanted the cookies to really tasty like coffee, so I added another tablespoon of Nescafe to the water when I whipped the Ener-G eggs in the Vita-Mix (another tip from TJOVB, which makes the Ener-G much frothier and more eggy). It worked really well and gave the dough a subtle coffee flavor that was pretty great in combination with the chunks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to make some espresso cookies a while back and they (sadly) didn't turn out well. I love your idea of making the espresso chocolate chunks. I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you made your own chocolate chunks! Very cool!