Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cast Iron

scalloped potatoes

I've always been under the false assumption that cast iron cookware was too much work. So, so wrong. Mason and I picked up a Lodge cast iron skillet this weekend and I love it! You can do so much with this one piece of cookware. We made a mushroom pasta sauce the first night that cooked up so easily and perfectly that I was flooded with regret at cooking in stainless steel for all of these years. Last night, I made the scalloped potatoes from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. It is so nice to have cookware that can go straight from the stove top to the oven. By the way, the potatoes were delicious and will definitely be made again (in a cast iron skillet, of course).

7 comments:

Léna, said...

I have always loved the produce of other's hard work with cast-iron. I am quite tempted to one day have my own supplies but as I am moving interstate in 2 months I don't want to have more than necessary stuff to take with me, and the place i'm moving into has most needed kitchenware, plus the oven is probably not at all big enough to fit in a pan that size. SIGH. one day, though, when i am a big grown up food fascist and have rule of my own kitchen. THEN, the cast iron curtain will be raised.

x x

Joanne said...

I have a small cast iron crepe skillet which has grown on me. I don't use it very often because its small size is not very versatile. I usually use teflon skillets (tsk tsk I know, I know - very bad of me - I hang my head in shame) for cooking. I really like the idea of a pan going from the stove top to the oven and getting a bicep workout simultaneously LOL!!

jessy said...

we totally have a lodge castiron, too! i asked for one last year for x-mas and my parents hooked it up! i couldn't believe i'd gone so long without one either. they're awesome! i'm totally going to have to check out the scalloped potatoes recipe - it looks AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

I love my cast iron pan. I would know what to do without it!

megan said...

Yep, I love it so much thus far, but the biggest test will be the pancake test. If it can pass the pancake test, I may be able to throw out (okay, donate) my last teflon pan!

HappyRelations said...

Cast iron also gives you some healthy iron in your food. My midwife told me so. And, you don't have to kill any birds in your home with the fumes from nasty nonstick pans (much less toxify you and your food).

Bex said...

It took me forever to start getting cast iron but now I can't imagine getting anything else. They are great and doesn't have to be expensive either.
Those potatoes look heavenly.